Forty-three down...9 to go...

What: #49  Make a pie from scratch

Where: Karen's Kitchen
When: December 6th
Why: I love peach pie. I mean it. And I know that a homemade pie tastes infinitely better than a store bought pie, but I had no idea how to make a pie. As my friend explained it, I'd be an awesome host of a cooking show for people (myself included) that have no idea how to cook. For example, the recipe said to mix until it looks like cornmeal. What on earth does that mean? I would revise it to say "until it looks like wet sand." Now THAT makes sense! And then why do you put aluminum foil on the edges? I assumed it had something to do with why there are metallic tiles on the space shuttle, so then I made my peace with it. Another very important thing I learned was that baking is different than cooking, and measurements have to be VERY precise. Also, weird things go into a pie...tapioca?? Who knew. 

Overall, it was a wonderful experience from beginning to end, thanks to her food processor (awesome!), a great space to roll out the dough for both crusts, and the lovely scents coming from the oven. Now, it was a late night of baking, so I didn't get to taste test it before I had to go home and it hadn't quite cooled, but I'm assured it will be enjoyed and maybe even a piece will be saved for me to try later!







No comments:

Post a Comment