What: #17 Dance at the Diamondback Saloon
Where: Diamondback Saloon
When: December 21st
Why: For years, I've been driving by the building and never once entered. It is a country bar, which is my kind of music, with dancing, which is also my thing, but something about it seemed like I would not fit in there. And, as the years passed and I got less young, I felt even more as tho I'd stick out like a sore thumb. Finally, I rounded up some friends who wanted to people watch with me, and they accompanied me to the saloon. The parking lot was packed, so I thought the bar would be smashed full of people, but when you go inside, the place is enormous! The bar area itself is tiny, but the focal point was an almost arena-style dance floor with tables surrounding it at various levels, and a stage with a live band. Early on, I got out on the dance floor for some line dancing, but then firmly planted myself at a ringside table to just watch the scene unfold. It was a very odd blend of people, music, and events, but not nearly as sketchy as I had anticipated. There were some "End Of The World" games hosted by a local radio DJ and that was fun to watch, altho the winners were much more hipster than country. The music selection ranged from Pat Benatar to Huey Lewis to country stars and back to Stevie Wonder...what?! I'll admit, I wasn't the oldest person in the bar, or the most ridiculous looking, so that's always a good pick-me-up. And hey, I did get to line dance, so it was a successful evening!

1 comment:
But you didn't dance with the old (teacher?) guy - bummer!
Post a Comment