Forty-five down...7 to go...


What: #71 Ride a mechanical bull

Where: Twisted Bull
When: December 8th
Why: A few years ago, I was in New Orleans with my college roommate for a friend’s wedding, and we went out after the reception to experience the nightlife, and ended up at a karaoke bar (where we sang a group piece and then split), and a big booming dance club (where we lasted a bit longer) and then walked past a bar with a mechanical bull and really wanted to try it, but since I was in a nice dress and heels, I conceded to watch while another friend of ours did do it, and it was a blast to cheer her on, so it seemed like a cool item to put on the list. I hadn’t come across a place with a mechanical bull, so had to finally Google search it. Turns out, there was a place in Grand Rapids, so it was perfect to do it after the Meijer Gardens. We got to the bar before the bull rides start at 9:30, but we asked our waitress (a nice girl in cheekie undies and chaps…seriously…) if we could hop on earlier and the two men running the show let us. It required a signed waiver (didn’t read it) and a short tutorial from a very tall cowboy (a direct quote: “It’s just like being on top”), and then away we went. The most awkward part is that there are plaid-clad barflies ringing the bull-riding mat on barstools to just gawk, make comments, and leer. Ick. But, with the support of Stef cheering me on, I stayed on until they ended my ride. Stef did a much better impression of a true bull rider…very cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment