7 down ... forty-five to go...

What: #17 Play bar trivia

When: February 4th
Where: Conor O'Neill's
Why: Growing up, my family played Trivial Pursuit, but it was the original edition in the blue box, so most of the questions were from an era before me and thus I didn't have very much useful knowledge about most of the topics. As I learned more, the game was a more enjoyable challenge, and often my brother, my mom, and I would try to beat my dad who is a wealth of amazing trivia. Almost any conversation with him has my jaw agape at some point with a random factoid he just blurts out that is totally relevant, but totally obscure. Thus began my love of trivia. I enjoy surprising my own friends from time to time with the assortment of useless knowledge I possess. So, I thought playing trivia with other like-minded individuals would be a lot of fun. The idea I had in my mind is from a movie I saw last year that was based on bar trivia in Ann Arbor, and so I was excited to find a night to try it out. Luckily, my friend and her boyfriend have gotten into the scene and know the cool places to go, and that's how we ended up at my favorite local Irish pub on Monday night. 


I'll admit, I was feeling really confident. Fueled by chicken tenders (a staple food in my diet) and a great drink, I felt good busting out info about Angel Falls in Venezuela and Belinda Carlisle in The GoGos. Oh, and I got almost every question right in the Super Bowl category (more like "Current Events" than "Sports"). But, those were the few shining moments of glory. Most of the questions were not easy. Obscure music references and even more obscure movie trivia. And trying to remember Sabrina's cat's name from "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" (I said "Mr. Bojangles"?!?) and the name of the guy who died while filming Gladiator (huh??), we put our heads together but still had to make completely random guesses a number of times. We had a small (3 of us), but mighty team going up against teams of 5-6 members, so we were at a disadvantage, right? 

Anyhow, we didn't win any prizes, but felt in our hearts that we at least went in with the best of intentions and an awesome team name!

Update: I've made a few more attempts at bar trivia with Stef, but at a different place. We've managed to get lucky with a few questions, but overall we do have a pretty deep set of random knowledge to make it a fun outing!


2 comments:

Sara said...

Love bar trivia! I friend's friend used to run bar trivia at an Applebee's in Dorchester/Boston. I went once. Totally random but totally fun.

Stef said...

Now you have to come to Corner with us some Wednesday!

Post a Comment