When: December 12th
Where: English Gardens

Why: I have a spider plant that has grown into two separate large plants, both from a cutting that I took about 15 years ago from my mom's spider plant. I smuggled this plant into California with me when I moved there years ago, and have tended to it ever since then. Lucky for me, it is extremely adaptable, very forgiving, and so easy to take care of that even I can keep it alive, and at times, even thriving! The idea of bringing another plant to care for into the house seemed cruel; surely I'd kill it off with neglect within weeks. Yet, as I thought ahead to that day in January that I'd put away my holiday greenery and be faced with the post-holiday blahs, I thought it might be nice to have additional greenery around the house to make the transition less abrupt. This idea took even greater root (haha!) when my friends wanted to have a crafting party and terrariums were mentioned as a possible project to make together. I headed to the local gardening store - English Gardens - and found succulents and cacti and fancy gravel and glass containers to use, and with my friend's charcoal and soil mixture, and the added bonus of my other friend's forethought to purchase little sculptures to put in our terrariums, we were able to put them together without too much trouble. The layering of heights and type of plant to put in may take some finesse that I don't have yet, but for the cost of one fancy terrarium, we made four, so I was very pleased with our finished products!
| Fancy terrariums at Nest in Detroit |

No comments:
Post a Comment