Forty-eight done ... 4 to go...

What: #54 Wear fake eyelashes to work

When: December 19th
Where: My workplace
Why: It seems that everyone is wearing fake eyelashes these days. Whether it's for a dinner out with friends, or something fancier, it isn't just for Hollywood starlets anymore. I blame Zooey Deschanel. Her amazing eyelashes on "New Girl" and the covers of her albums are so luscious (I really just said that) and the envy of those of us without A) our own natural luscious lashes or B) the ability to put on fake lashes. The only time I wore fake eyelashes before was for my high school dance recital. The effect was a disaster. It was a phase in life where all of us girls were trying to wear too much make up, and I think I could barely open my eyelids, which is quite a hindrance when you're trying to hit your marks on a stage. After that, I just found the perfect combo of eyeliner and mascara to help me achieve a slightly more realistic look, but one that still serves to create enough of a difference in my eye appearance that I look quite haggard in any no-eye-makeup pics of myself. 

So, the last day of work before the holidays arrived, and I still hadn't checked this one off the list. And, to be fair, I still don't think I technically stuck to the intent of this one...it's the preposition "to" that got in my way. I tried to get up in the morning to put them on myself, but it wasn't happening. At all. So, I took all of my supplies to work with me and around lunch time, sent my co-worker a text saying, "Weirdest question of the day...can you help me put on fake eyelashes today?" She called to make sure she had correctly understood my text - pretty safe to do with auto-correct running rampant these days - and then told me she could try to help. I honestly thought she had done this before because I've seen her looking extremely glamorous at different events leading up to her wedding and on the day itself, so I assumed she had worn eyelashes. 

Well, she couldn't do it, and I couldn't do it, so we enlisted the help of another co-worker...and added to the list of people experiencing my humiliation. This time, we were able to get them both on, but they had been pulled off and re-glued so many times that they were still pretty hard to get to line up with my own lash line. I ended up wearing them only through my lunch and for a walk down the hallway, but couldn't keep them on much longer because it did look pretty silly. I'll have to try next year, maybe to make myself wear them for a WHOLE DAY at work.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment