Forty-four done ... 8 to go...

What: #28 Play at the batting cages

When: December 7th
Where: Macomb Batting Cages
Why: Growing up, I played soccer, but never little league. I remember watching my brother play tee-ball, and definitely had baseball mitts and balls that we tossed around playing catch in the yard, but I don't recall many times, if ever, that I actually hit a baseball with a bat. In fact, the most memories I have of my time on a baseball diamond involve playing kickball as a kid at recess, watching olde timey baseball as an adult, or wandering the field as a fan at Comerica Park.

So, my friend also has this on her list of things to do this year, which made me feel better about it being a legitimately cool thing to do! Sometimes, it seems that I'm the only person doing these new things and dragging everyone along with me, but this one was helping us both! After a fun morning at the Urban Craft Fair, we switched it up to do something more physical and headed north of Detroit to a batting cage that we found was indoor, thus still open during the winter time. 

It wasn't what I expected at all...just a big open warehouse with nets dividing the batting lanes (are they called lanes?). We were escorted into the equipment room to choose bats, batting gloves, and helmets...none of which I had any idea of how to do. After choosing based on fashion more than function (not a great plan), I strutted out to the plate. The two pitching machines we had were for slow pitch softball and fast pitch baseball. I started off with slow pitch and could barely hit anything. Luckily, my friends were all giving me good pointers for my form (elbows up, feet aligned to the bag, and follow through the swing), and by the next round, I was improved enough to hit the fast balls.
 
 The fast balls seemed terrifying to me, whizzing at me and ready to send painful vibrations down my hands and into my arms anytime I made contact with the ball. How to professionals do this day after day? I guess the millions they make allows them to afford fancy ice packs for their sore hands. Still, I am in awe of batters staring down a 100-mile-per-hour fast ball when I was skittish around a 60 mph pitch!

Often, I determine if I'll do something again from the list, and this is one that I think I'd do a few more times. It was fun with friends, and fun to improve, so I'd like to keep it up and maybe play for fun one of these summers!


No comments:

Post a Comment