What: #32 Read a
novel I haven’t read from Modern Library’s list of 100 Best
When: April 3rd
Where: Various furniture in my living room
Why: A few years ago, I was in a short-lived book club, but I really liked the idea of having someone to engage with during the experience of reading the story. Also, I love to read new stories, but often am not sure of good books that will capture my attention, so having a list telling me some of the best books made my choices a bit easier. Last year, the book I chose was recommended by Steph, and she and I created our own virtual book club to share thoughts and questions while we read. This year, we did the same thing for E.M. Forster's book A Room With A View. I selected the book this time, reading a synopsis about it and feeling that the combination of travel and romance was right up my alley. Sadly, the book is written by a man who has no idea how to write about things that a woman wants to read about when she is lured into a book by travel and romance. This brief clip of the movie version pretty much gives a picture of how absurd the telling of the story is; and how confusing and disjointed it is in the telling of it. Still, the general storyline was pretty interesting once you are removed the nauseous way he wrote it. And the commentary on the times is fascinating, especially all the societal rules everyone had to follow. However, if you are looking for a good story about good relationships in ye olde times, I'd recommend anything by Jane Austen!

No comments:
Post a Comment