Eleven done ... 41 to go...

What: #39 Visit with a Facebook friend I haven't seen in real life in over 3 years

When: April 8th
Where: Washington, D.C.
Why: The first year I put together this project of doing new things, I included this one as an item because I try to use Facebook for good, not evil. By this I mean that I try to use it to keep in touch with important people in my life, to spread joy instead of cynicism, to post interesting and smile-inducing articles or updates, to celebrate the successes of those with whom I'm connected (instead of stalking those with whom I am no longer connected). All of this hopefully helps me to keep up with people that otherwise would be a part of a past moment of time. I'm not saying I always succeed at this goal, but I do try to use Facebook as a vehicle for meeting up with friends who are truly friends, but from whom I've been separated by either time or distance and sometimes by both. Initially, I had intended to visit my friend Star at the cute country inn where she and her husband worked in middle Virginia, but circumstances aligned and allowed for us to have a day together during my visit to DC. We met up at a great tapas restaurant for lunch, together with her two daughters, reminiscing on past times and sharing news of our lives now. We discussed plans for our futures, business ideas and travel destinations, and shared news of friends we'd lost touch with over the years. The day was warm and sunny (and a bit breezy), so we strolled around the tidal basin to see the monuments and people watch along the way. We were joined by her husband, Neal, who recommended a great place for dinner near where I was staying in Alexandria, so we all went out to eat together, talk more about our dreams for the future, and cap off a really great day with delicious food, wonderful conversation, and a renewed friendship. Thanks, Facebook! 




No comments:

Post a Comment