12 down ... forty to go...

What: #67 Read a novel I haven’t read from Modern Library’s list of 100 Best 

When: February 24th
Where: Various chairs around my home
Why: As a girl, my family always traveled by road trips, and the love of the open vistas and familiar pull of getting out on highways and scenic routes has always stuck with me. I've driven Route 66, took a cross-country trip from Michigan to California, and have driven across I-80 more times than I can count. So, when a friend said she wanted to read "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac, that seemed like a great choice because I had heard it was about driving across the country. It was, in fact, about just that, but in such a swirling mess that I would never have gotten through it without knowing she and I were going through it together. 

We divided up the book into 4 weeks, and then sent each other our thoughts/questions/reactions at the end of each week. Overall, we did not care for the main characters, but we did find that our interest was continuously sparked regarding particular events or destinations. And, the simplicity of random hitchhiking and living off nothing, and of meeting up with friends across the country without the use of cell phones or email sorta blew our minds! 

No comments:

Post a Comment