Thirteen done ... 39 to go...

What: #33 Eat at Fleetwood Diner in A2

When: April 13th
Where: Ashley Street
Why: This is one of those college experiences that I missed out on for an unknown reason. Actually, I recall people in high school heading out here, too, probably because it was one of the only places open all night (other than Meijer Thrifty Acres...) and that instantly made it cool. In recent years, as I started to over-think it, I had an irrational fear of going here because it seemed so greasy that I was legitimately afraid that I'd walk in, slip on the floor, and fall down into leftover diner crumbs and whatnot. This did not seem appealing, and thus I passed by the Fleetwood Diner on many occasions, heading for higher ground and cleaner floors. Still, it seemed such a part of local culture to eat here that I have felt that I was truly missing out on something that I could only understand if I partook of a meal here. And so this morning, hungry for a hearty breakfast, I headed to the Fleetwood. I procured a fine table outside under the awning, ordered quickly, and enjoyed the people watching. For food, I sampled the Hippie Hash, and dove into my french toast (which was actually VERY good). The vibe from the waitstaff was a bit brash, which is not what I expected, especially on a warm spring morning that should have put everyone in this city in a good mood. Dour waitresses aside, as I sat surrounded by college students and their dogs, loud-talkers, and someone on their laptop (there is no way I'd take my laptop here!), I definitely enjoyed my first experience at Fleetwood and would happily return for another morning brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment