Nine done ... 43 to go...

What: #59 Watch turtle racing

When: March 28th
Where: Big Joe's 2 & 6 Pub 
Why: I feel like this isn't the first time that I saw something on "Rob and Big" and decided I wanted to try it. I'm not sure what that says about me, but I'm still comfortable admitting to it. This time, it is turtle racing. I've done horse racing, but that is so obvious; turtle racing has a lot more unknowns to make it thrilling, and has the potential to last a lot longer, too. So, with plans to be in Chicago on a Friday night, watching turtles race became the next item to cross off my list.

When we arrived, we saw a long line of people outside the bar. As we approached the line, a large group of about 8 people left, complaining about waiting too long. It was really cold (this polar vortex is the gift that keeps on giving!), but come on, it's TURTLE RACING. So, we got into the line and soon realized it was a "one out, one in" policy due to a recent visit by the fire marshal. We missed the first two races of the night, but were in well before the third race and had plenty of time to amass some tickets in the hopes of getting to be a part of the race. Having earned our raffle tickets, we made it over to the arena area to get an up close and personal view of the event. 

One thing I learned: drunk people can not read numbers off a raffle ticket. The race organizer had to turn away 3-4 people on every ticket he called because they had their numbers wrong. It was astonishing. Eventually, the 6 racers were chosen, assigned a turtle, and the turtles were set in the center of the arena. The first one out to the red edge wins...here's what happened. 


Starting in the center...

Uhh...those two turtles did not have racing on their minds...

The winner!!!

      

No comments:

Post a Comment