Forty-three done ... 9 to go...

What: #13 Attend a new event at the Washtenaw Farm Council grounds

When: November 30th
Where: Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds
Why: Growing up, it was a big deal to go to the annual fair hosted by my city at the local fairgrounds. So big that we got out of school for the day to enjoy it. And we had a big parade, with tractors, and the high school's marching band. As I got older, I started to work at the fairgrounds, first running the concession stand with my Girl Scout troop during the Gun Shows (yes, I'm serious), and then as an errand girl (unofficial title) during the Antiques Markets. Over the years, I attended other events, but recently I had not been back to the fairgrounds for any of it...not the annual fair itself, nor the antiques shows. I decided I wanted to see what else happened at the fairgrounds that I might not know about, and so I sought out a calendar of events and discovered that a train show was scheduled. 

Growing up, my dad had a model train set. In a box. In the attic. That neither my brother nor I were allowed to touch. Or see. So, to me, there is some mystique surrounding model trains and over the years, I've often been drawn to these miniature sets. Recently, I saw a really incredible set in Chicago. The sets at the show today were not that intricate, but we did get to talk with one of the guys in a local train club and hearing about the detail that goes into creating even a small diorama was really impressive. 

I walked out without purchasing any train sets, but definitely with a deeper appreciation for these collectors and enthusiasts of model trains. 

I think my interest made this guy's whole day...

All Legos! And his shirt...awesome...




No comments:

Post a Comment