Thirty-nine done ... 13 to go...

What: #55 Make my own ice cream

When: November 8th
Where: Sonia's kitchen
Why: This past New Year's Eve, I was with friends discussing the results of my 2013 list, and doing so over homemade ice cream that my friend Amanda's husband had made from scratch. He said it was pretty do-able (altho, he is a very skilled dessert maker at a much higher level than I'll ever be), and he suggested that I add it to my new list, so I included it and finally got around to checking it off.

Sonia's kitchen has also been the location of a previous cooking venture and so I was familiar with the basic lay-out and materials I'd be using. This time, I had done all of the grocery shopping myself based on an amazing recipe she found for an ice cream flavor that she wanted to make for her husband, Mighel. I was honored - and quite nervous - to be the "chef" (or would it be more like dairymaid?) preparing this dessert for him, and others who were visiting for the evening of watching Michigan football.

The custard part of the ice cream took about 30 minutes to make, then it had to chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours, and then Mighel got out their KitchenAid mixer (in an awesome bright orange color!) and the ice cream maker bowl and attachment, and after about 30 more minutes, it was ready to serve. Allison, another Michigan fan/friend, was visiting and brought Nutella-filled cupcakes (as incredibly delicious as they sound!), and those paired extremely well with the ice cream for a wonderful post-game dessert! 



No comments:

Post a Comment