Twenty-eight done ... 24 to go...

What: #45 Give a 100% tip

When: July 25th
Where: Eva's Cafe, Chicago
Why: I've never worked in a job where I relied on tips. I've worked in food service at a McDonald's as a student, but never have I been a waitress, hostess, barista, manicurist, etc. I do try to adhere to the 20% rule for tipping, and will make alterations based on exceptionally great service, or uncorrected bad service.

Recently, it seems there have been a rash of anonymous patrons leaving enormous tips for unsuspecting workers. This is the kind of news story that I can get behind and fully support. Generous people doing nice things for good people. I wanted to be generous within my means, so leaving a 100% tip at a fancy restaurant or for my hairstylist...that just isn't in my budget. Luckily, I stumbled into Eva's Cafe. 

Eva's Cafe is in Old Town Chicago. It was a couple of blocks away from where I was staying and had a few really nice reviews on Yelp, so it was my choice for a morning coffee (for Allison) and muffin (for me). The whole experience was great in this cafe. The decor was like being in a fancy dining room of an old manor house with big solid dark wood tables and shelves with books and a fireplace and great rugs, all enclosed by warm brick walls. The clientele looked like people I would absolutely strike up a conversation with on any given day. The barista - Mark - was so nice, he even made my strawberry Italian soda exactly the way I like it, and offered me a free refill as I left. This sealed it; I would return the following day, hope he was still working the next morning, and leave my 100% tip. 

Arriving for my morning doughnut and strawberry soda (breakfast of champions!), I explained to Mark what I was doing, how much I had appreciated him, and I gave him a tip *over* 100% because the doughnut and drink weren't too pricey to begin with in this great cafe. The whole thing made me feel good, and I think it made Mark feel appreciated for his extra kindness! Win win!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to be honest - I read this blog for the great writing, not hearing about the audacious and silly exploits, though those are a nice bonus. The offer still stands for me to be your editor (travel writing, comic strips, memoirs), whatever you chose to write!

Post a Comment