What: #90 Ski on Peak 6 at Breckenridge
When: February 14th
Where: Breckenridge, CO
 |
| It's enormous...the tiny dots are other skiers! |
Why: Last year was the first time in almost 30 years that I didn't get to the mountains to ski, and the first time in almost ten years that I hadn't gone out to the Rockies to ski. A part of me wondered if I was done skiing...it has gotten so expensive and takes a lot of equipment and I've gotten a bit more worried about my knees after a few spills on the slopes over the years. Then, my brother and a few of our friends decided to get a place on Lake Dillon over the long weekend, and I realized I still have a few years of skiing left in me as I jumped at the chance to fly back out there. One of my favorite places to ski in Summit County is Breckenridge, and one thing I missed last year was their expansion to
Peak 6. Getting out to discover new terrain at an old favorite is almost as exciting as skiing at a
brand new place, so this was something I was looking forward to doing. And, it didn't disappoint. The snow was great, the sun was high, the sky was blue, and the whole bowl was practically empty, giving me just the most amazing feeling of having the entire peak to myself! We did five runs down Wonderland Bowl, finishing up just as the sun was sinking below the peak and casting shadows across the terrain. The whole afternoon on that peak was so great, that when we came back to Breck a few days later, I didn't want to return to Peak 6 and ruin the perfect day we had...luckily, there are 4 other peaks to choose from, so I'll save my next runs on Peak 6 for next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment