When: February 8th
Where: Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger
Why: When I started this quest of new things to do, one item that landed on that initial list was making a visit to a local landmark. That was three years ago, and it was just in time; not long after my visit, the community learned that the University was buying up the land to make way for another expansion, and the beloved burger joint was faced with an uncertain future. Then, about four months ago, all was right with the world when they reopened in another location, and lines started forming to see if it was what we all remembered it to be. Today, after a peaceful morning of meditating, it seemed like a good afternoon to appreciate the joy of reacquainting myself with the fare at Blimpy Burger. We arrived about ten minutes before they opened, and as we stood around the front door, admiring the familiar snow bear, we realized we had formed the front of a lengthening line. As the minutes ticked by, about 20 people were orderly gathered in a queue waiting for the doors to open. This is how it is for this much-loved local landmark. What I hadn't factored in was the stress I'd be under as the official first person in line. There is a fairly specific process that each customer is expected to follow when placing your order, and I usually observe and carefully listen to those before me to remember the process. It's a lot like the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld, and I felt like Elaine. Luckily, the guys behind the counter took it easy on me, and I even got them to laugh at some of my shenanigans. The people directly behind us in line weren't quite as amused at the length of time it took me to place a correct order; I should help told them about the messages of patience and understanding I heard at my morning Buddhist service!
No comments:
Post a Comment