4 done ... 48 to go...

What: #61 Shop at Schmidt's antiques

When: February 7th
Where: Schmidt's Antiques
Why: From the age of 10, I was riding along Michigan Avenue (US-12) between cities as my family moved from one to another, then as we still explored things to do and places to see in this region, and it is still the closest thoroughfare for me today. One building has always stood out with its red barns and old white farmhouse, and a name that relates to a branch of my own family tree. On a dreary winter's afternoon, it seemed as good a time as any to check out what these bright barns held in store. Upon entry, it was clear that these were fancy antiques, not the garage sale spread I was expecting. The barn connected to room after room of enormous wooden wardrobes, lovely hand-crafted tables and chairs, glass demi-johns and beautiful old pottery, and intricately carved doors, umbrella stands, dressers, and other exceptional furniture. 
The prices reflected the craftsmanship and the history of the pieces, so I wasn't prepared to drop hundreds of dollars on a purchase. I did see that they hold auctions and estate sales, so I might be interested in seeing if there is ever an item up for bid that catches my attention. Any of these pieces would certainly be a focal point of any room, but for now I'm sticking with my own bookcase I inherited from my grandparents. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment