When: March 1st
Where: Detroit
Over the past decade, I've seen Belle Isle change from a nearly abandoned, littered, overgrown eyesore back to a vibrant destination worlds apart from the downtown area. Events are starting to happen there - I've recently participated in a triathlon on the island, an historical bike tour, and numerous Tour de Troit rides. A few summers ago, I first visited the Conservatory and the repaired fountain, and this weekend, I finally stepped inside the reopened aquarium.
The building has always been an incredible architectural gem by Albert Kahn, and seeing it for the first time inside was breathtaking. The ceiling tiles give you the feeling of being underwater, and the space is just perfect for families to spend their weekend afternoons strolling past the forty or so tanks filled with everything from stingrays to seahorses to jellyfish to frogs to tropical fish to a giant freshwater puffer fish named Otis.
On this visit, I was fortunate enough to meet Jennifer Boardman, one of the people responsible for getting the aquarium renovated, funded, and re-opened to the public. Meeting her was so inspirational, and helped me see the incredible impact individuals are having on this great city!



No comments:
Post a Comment