What: #27 Go inside the MGM Grand Casino in Detroit
When: June 29th
Where: Detroit

Why: Years ago when they opened up the regulations to allow gambling in Detroit, it was a move that I thought would be very detrimental to the region. As someone who is always very protective of the perceptions that others have of Detroit, I was staunchly opposed and thus never did want to support the casinos in the city. As time rolled by, it seemed that there wasn't anything quite as awful coming from the presence of the three casinos as I had anticipated, so I've come to accept their existence, even using the Greektown Casino as my own personal parking lot for
Tigers games and enjoying the light show that graces the facade of the
Motor City Casino. The other casino, the
MGM Grand in Detroit, always seemed a tad silly to me because it pales in comparison to the actual MGM Grand in Vegas. Still, I decided that I should take time to visit this casino to fairly assess it.

The casino floor is pretty typical, nothing flashy or overly interesting. There are a few restaurants that surround it, including a Wolfgang Puck eatery and TAP, which is a pretty cool bar. The one lap that I did around the casino to take it all in was a pretty quick one because of all the smoke; I think I had forgotten you could still light up inside casinos, and that was a huge deterrent for me wanting to spend much time in there. Luckily, I saw this room - "The Clear" - as I walked by, so I was able to sit for awhile and have a little fun at a slot machine.
In general, the casino seems to be nothing special. Perhaps the hotel part is more of a destination, but I'll probably not feel the need to add a stay there to my list for next year.
 |
| Eventually, I lost it all... |
 |
| Big spender...$5 at the quarter slots! |
No comments:
Post a Comment