What: #49 Get
a Detroit Tigers shirt
When: June 30th
Where: Comerica Park

Why: Most summers, I find myself at the ballpark for at least a few games. This summer, I've had the good fortune of having a partial season package, so I'll see about 30 games from my seats off the third base line. I never know what to wear because at first pitch, I usually want a tank top or tee on while the sun is out, but by the end of the game, I'm usually wishing for a long-sleeve shirt or hoodie as the river breezes kick up and the sun goes down. To have enough Tiger apparel to meet all of these needs, I'd have to spend a fair sum of money, which I haven't done. Still, I always feel left out that I don't have a good Detroit Tigers shirt to wear. I do wear my
Detroit Republic shirt, which does sport a nice tiger on it, but it isn't really a Tigers shirt.
 |
| My manicure matches my jersey! |
It turns out that as one of the promotions this year, in honor of the amazing
1984 championship team, they were giving away jerseys to the fans that got in early to the game on June 30th (it's the 30th anniversary of that World Series team). The 1984 team is very special to me; it's the first time I remember being aware of baseball, and as a young girl that summer, I collected their baseball cards, knew their stats, met them and got their autographs, and fell asleep listening to Ernie Harwell call the games. So, not only was it very exciting to see players like Alan Trammel, Lou Whittaker, and Darrell Evans again, it was especially cool to do it wearing a jersey that says "Champions" across the back, with number 84 emblazoned on it.
To cap off the night, I got to see Rajai Davis hit a
walk-off grand slam, an absolutely thrilling finish to a great day at the ballpark!
No comments:
Post a Comment