24 down ... twenty-eight to go...

What: #31 Do a race I haven’t done before

When: June 2nd
Where: Ann Arbor
Why: In order to keep up with any real training, I have to sign up for events to instill in me a certain healthy level of apprehension. For me, the Dexter Ann Arbor runs have always eluded me because of the hills that bound the Huron River, and thus are a part of the course. My own runs are down a very flat road, and I'm still worn out afterwards, so the idea of running hills for 3.1 miles did not appeal to me. Luckily, my friend Karen - with whom I run about once a week before we plop down to watch TV and eat "healthy" snacks - encouraged me to do this race with her this year. Unluckily, I'm still naturally lazy and didn't train too much beyond our weekly evening runs.

The course is really scenic, but definitely hilly, and with so many people it was really congested and a little frustrating the first half-mile or so; you just couldn't get into your own pace because so many people were bunched up and the sharp downhill start was throwing everyone off their game. Eventually, it widened and I settled into a groove. I've heard that it is best to run your slowest mile during mile one, then speed up each subsequent mile, but I always - unintentionally - do it backwards; my first mile was at a 8-minute pace, then each was slower than the previous. Still, my time today was a 2-minute improvement on my last 5K race, so I felt good with my result. Not good enough that I'd do the half-marathon race (man, those people looked exhausted!), but maybe one day, just maybe, I'll try a 10K!

This is one of many pictures with my eyes closed...what the?!
Apparently, I avoid exhaustion by napping WHILE running!
 






2 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Um.... you are NOT naturally lazy! You're one of the most non-lazy people I know!

Way to go on beating your last time for this race! :)

Elizabeth Downie said...

Ok, somehow I missed this picture when I originally read this post, but it's amazing and I LOVE it!!!

Post a Comment