What: #58 Read Anne Frank’s The Diary Of A Young Girl
Where: A round-trip flight to LA and the couch
When: Completed April 15th

Why: There are many books that I feel like others have read as required reading at some point in their education, and yet I have not been exposed to them. This was one of those books, and so I borrowed my friend Karen's copy to finally read it for myself and know this story. At times, it was difficult to keep going because, similar to the movie
Titanic, I know how it ends before I even start, so as I got closer to the end of the book, I really started to drag my feet on getting through it. Last night, I read about 100 pages, and then didn't want to get to the end and have negative images in my mind before going to sleep, so instead I finished it this morning. My overall impression is that it is amazing how, no matter the circumstances, it seems that the female mind is often filled with the same thoughts/worries/concerns. Friends, family, self image, relationships, goals for the future, etc. I was also struck with how soon they all adapted to this way of life, as unbelievable as the circumstances were, and started to operate under this new sense of "normal." On a much more superficial and selfish level, I also started to be freaked out about anyone publishing my journals!!
One of my favorite quotes from her writings: "Riches, prestige, everything can be lost. But the happiness in your own heart can only be dimmed; it will always be there, as long as you live, to make you happy again." -
Anne Frank on Wednesday, February 23, 1944
1 comment:
I love that quote! And I love your insights too. You're so right how we all have the same concerns no matter our circumstances. I haven't read that book in years. I kind of want to get it out now.
PS - the header looks great with the clouds! (I didn't even think of that with the blue!)
Post a Comment