Nine down...43 to go...

What: #20 Pick up a bouquet of fresh flowers for myself 

Where: Saline Flowerland
When: April 12th
Why: Over the years, I have received flowers and they are always an inconvenience. That sounds bad, I know, but when I get them, it then becomes my responsibility to trim the stems, tidy up the fallen petals, refresh the water, arrange them in a vase, keep clipping the dead leaves, and mourn when they finally die. See, that's a lot of responsibility! It seemed to me that if I made the decision to actually get myself flowers instead of having them forced on me (I know, still sounds bad), maybe I'd be more invested in the whole process. So I chose today to test out this theory. One of my motives for choosing today is that it would have been my maternal grandmother's 104th birthday. Yes, she would have been older than the Titanic. My earliest memories with my grandma include walking around her old farmhouse looking at all the flowers and walking through paths in her garden. There were all types of flowers mingled together, and many were mirrored in the beautiful pieces of china and other heirlooms she had around the house. To pay homage to her love of flowers, I thought today I'd bring home a bouquet of fresh tulips. I chose yellow - what's cheerier than that? - and tulips because they just seem more natural than the highly dyed pre-gathered bouquets. So far, they are definitely putting a smile on my face, and I did enjoy the process of arranging them in a vase much more so than I expected. Plus, the lady at the flower store told me a secret, that if you make a small slit near the head of the tulip to let the gas out (no idea what gas, but ok), that helps them to stand upright without the weight of the blooms pulling them down. I'll have to see if this is true as they open up over the next few days.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Very cool! And interesting tip from the flower lady! You'll have to let me know if it works!

Also, happy birthday to your grandma :)

Post a Comment