What: #46 Find out if I have an FBI file
When: July 28th-August 10th, 2016
Where: That's classified...
Why: For some reason, I feel like I might have an FBI file. Maybe it's the fact that my last name is pretty unique and seems to come from nowhere in my lineage, making me think that maybe it was simply created at some point to keep our family secrets. (Maybe I've also ready too many mystery novels or watched too many intriguing movies.) Also, I do a fair amount of traveling around the world, including places in the Middle East and parts of Africa that aren't always known for their stable governments, so I figured at one time or another, I'd likely have been flagged upon my re-entry to the United States. Plus, I am just a nosy person in general, and I crave information, and I like the chase of finding information beyond a basic Google search. I think I long for the days of card catalogs and microfiche and meeting with people to dig out a good nugget of information.
So, I set about filling out Form DOJ-361 to request my government held records pursuant to the Privacy Act of 1974. Much to my surprise - having filled out overly-complicated and lengthy tax forms for years - this form was a single page of efficiency! Within TWO MINUTES of emailing it to the proper authorities, I received confirmation that the official process was underway. By August 2nd, I had received a formal letter explaining the next steps and how to keep track of it online.
Finally, on August 10th - only TWO WEEKS after the initial request - I received the results. The letter explains that no results were found on me in their Central Records System. It goes on to say that "this response neither confirms nor denies the existence" of an actual file, nor does it clear my name of appearing on any watch lists. It continues by stating that "three discrete categories of law enforcement and national security records" were excluded from the information presented to me, and that again, "this should not be taken as an indication that excluded records do, or do not, exist." To me, it seems inconclusive, so I'm going to continue on my path with the assumption that I might have a file and I'll try to keep it minimal.
No comments:
Post a Comment