13 done ... 39 to go...

What: #17 Check off a country I've never visited

When: April 11th
Where: Qatar
Why: When booking the flights to Nepal, a friend mentioned that she had recently used Qatar Airways when flying to Nepal for her honeymoon. This turned out to be a great way to spend time in a country that otherwise never crossed my mind. On the return flight from Kathmandu, the scheduled layover in Qatar was about 14 hours, giving us time to venture from the airport into the city of Doha and spend an evening wandering around an incredible museum, followed by a pleasant stay in a nearby hotel. All of this was booked through the airline as a special transit for passengers with long layovers. The airline provided the necessary entry visa, transportation into the city, and our accommodations!

In a book my friend Brittany bought me - 1000 Places To See Before You Die - it writes about the amazing collection of Islamic art housed in the museum in Doha. Having spent a fair amount of time in Islamic countries the past few summers - and a few weeks in the Middle East last summer - I was excited to see the variety of art on display, especially now that I know more about the symbolism and techniques and historical significance of many pieces. And I was not disappointed!

See me?
The museum was laid out very well, with the art displayed in a beautiful space designed by the famous architect I.M. Pei. The information added to what knowledge I already had, and the current exhibits were really interesting. We spent a couple hours there, and I could have stayed longer. If you ever find yourself on the Arabian Peninsula, perhaps for the 2022 World Cup, I'd recommend a visit!




No comments:

Post a Comment