What: #4 Go paragliding
When: April 6th
Where: Pokhara, Nepal

Why: Skydiving seems to be on a lot of bucket lists. To me, that holds no appeal. I just imagine the anxiety leading up to it would override any thrill it might hold. I know that most people say that once they've jumped, they can't wait to do it again. So, I'll politely decline and keep the spaces available for their next descent. In the meantime, I did still feel a desire to be in the sky, and have thought about paragliding for quite some time. When the opportunity arose to go paragliding with a trained rescued vulture, I was completely sold and started making plans to make it happen.
As plans fell into place, we started seeing more press about the
Parahawking Project, which was developed to raise awareness of the need for vulture conservation in Nepal and India, and was recently featured in the first episode of the PBS series
Earth: A New Wild.
 |
| Kevin...in the car... |
The day of our flight, we spent the morning training on the ground with an Egyptian Vulture named Kevin, and learning calls and how to handle Black Kites in a falconry lesson. Holding these birds close to my body (and a bit too close to my eyeballs for my comfort) was incredible! Getting to see them in the sky was even more impressive.
 |
| Selfie with Damu, my fearless guide |
Just as I was about to run off the launch area in the afternoon, I was
starting to get nervous. Luckily, this was a tandem flight, so I could fully trust my
guide - Damu - with my life as we hurtled into mid-air and hoped for the
right thermal currents to carry us. This is where Kevin - the Egyptian
Vulture - comes in handy. Watching for him in the air, it gave me a
distraction to take my mind off the height, and it gave me a completely
unique and amazing view of what these birds can do in the air. Anytime
Kevin found a new thermal (his eyesight is incredible), we followed him,
then we would call him to feed him a treat as a thank-you for his help.
Each time he came in for a treat, he landed on my gloved arm, then took
off again with such ease and elegance.

The views, the feeling, the entire experience are all very difficult to
put into words,
especially now that my memories of the trip to Nepal are so bittersweet
as I read about the destruction and widespread suffering after the
April 25th earthquake.
No comments:
Post a Comment