When: October 13th
Where: Gaylord, MI
Why: The radio has always been a comfort to me; my clock radio in my bedroom growing up was a window to the world of classical music, indie DJs, country music, and lyrics for an angst-ridden teenager. My first purchase with money I earned baby-sitting as a teenager was a stereo system (3-disc CD changer, dual deck tape player!) with a remote control; I was giddy! My free time was often spent - as so many of my peers can likely relate - waiting to catch and record my favorite songs to make mixed tapes that I'd listen to until they wore out, or that I'd give as gifts, prized possessions to this day (altho it turns out that the tapes do not hold up very well over decades).
Nowadays, there is almost instant access to any song at one's fingertips, and I think there is something lost in the novelty of waiting to hear your favorite song, the anticipation of those first few notes that can instantly perk up any mood or bring back any memory. That is why I wanted to call to request a song, to know I could look forward to hearing my selection, but not knowing when it would play; an exercise in patience in such an immediate-gratification world.
I've made plenty of phone calls to radio stations over the years, hoping to win NKOTB concert tickets as a middle schooler, then other concert tickets throughout the years, but to no avail. Perhaps, I hoped, I'd have better luck calling to request a song. On a country drive, I heard a DJ mention that he was taking callers, so I dialed up Tom Kent of 92.5 The Fox in Gaylord to make my very cheesy request. Any guesses?
Here it is, in all of its awkward glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment