Fifteen done ... 37 to go...

What: #2 Embark on a yoga retreat

Where: San Diego
When: May 2nd-4th
Steph and I on Day 2, planking on the boards!
Why: Over the years, I've done yoga off and on. I like the way I feel like I'm in therapy, the way everyone speaks so calmly and reminds you to love yourself and spread joy to the world. And often, I feel like I've had a massage, the way my muscles are warmed up and worked out. There is a yoga studio in Detroit I've tried to attend more regularly with my friend Steph, and she suggested going to a full-on yoga retreat together. This was an offer I couldn't refuse, so months ago, we booked this trip, and when it finally arrived, it was absolutely perfect timing! I was in need of some major readjustment of my attitude, my perspective, and my well-being, so with gusto, I prepared to embark on my first yoga retreat on the Pacific Coast.

The retreat was organized by Paddle Board Bliss, and included four of us, two from Michigan and two from Arizona. On our arrival, we were surprised by an upgrade to a suite at our resort, and admired the great location we had in proximity to restaurants, the beach, a running path, and a smoothie place! Within a few short hours of arrival, we were happily on the bay, paddling our cares away, and I had my first taste of paddle board yoga. 

Yoga relies heavily on balance, which I am pretty good at from climbing; it also relies on core strength, and mine has greatly diminished in the last year or so. To do yoga on a paddle board, holding steady while your board is ebbing and flowing with every wave that rolls by it, is an entirely new challenge, and one that I gladly enjoyed tackling. Especially on a hot weekend, it was wonderful to be able to feel the cool ocean water wash over your hands and feet in the midst of holding a particularly difficult pose. I did avoid the more difficult poses that I can do on land (tripod and wheel, for example), for fear of falling into the ocean. I know, it would be a much less harsh landing than falling onto the ground, but I still backed down from that particular challenge. And regret it; the intent of the retreat was to push my comfort level in my yoga practice, and so I should have attempted it. I realize, however, this just gives me something to aim for on my next retreat!


Water, hat, paddle, anchor, board...the tools of the weekend!

Blissed out after a meditation session on the beach




No comments:

Post a Comment