Seventeen done ... 35 to go...

What: #26 Taste moonshine

Where: Tennessee
When: March 25th
Why: There is a very noticeable hillbilly streak in my personality. I'm not sure how it got there, altho I'm starting to get a better idea. My parents recently moved to the South, and within a year, my dad is a moonshiner, so I am pretty sure I got my hillbilly bone from him. At Christmas, my mom casually mentions something about my dad's moonshine, and I tried not to ask because from what I know, it's not quite legal. I guess it's probably legal to make, but not sell; no matter, I still prefer to be in the dark. On my recent visit, I see that they have jars - yes, jars - of moonshine in a cupboard, so even tho the intent of this list item was to find some off-the-beaten-path place in backwoods Kentucky to try moonshine, it seemed fitting that I'd actually be trying it from my dad's own brew. He had two types, apple cinnamon and XX. I tried both, and definitely preferred the former. The latter was so strong, the fumes made my eyes water before I even took a sip (and I do mean a sip...that is a strong drink!). I think he's still working on the perfect brew, so I'll have to try another shot of his next batch later this summer, and maybe I'll start bringing samples home for friends to try "Farnsworth's Firewater" north of the Mason-Dixon line!



No comments:

Post a Comment