31 down ... twenty-one to go...

What: #52 Fly-fish 

When: August 22nd
Where: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Why: Interestingly, most people got hooked on the idea of fly-fishing from the film A River Runs Through It. Instead, however, I more recently got attached to the idea from the movie Salmon Fishing In The Yemen. As a kid, I did some basic fishing with a reel and learned how to cast and bait a hook. The terminology is the same for fly-fishing, but the motions are very different for casting and tying on a fly. Casting required a lot of repetition to get the hang of the movement, and as our guide had warned us, we forgot almost everything as soon as we had on a fly and were at the water's edge. Luckily, he was very patient with us - and the scenery was so beautiful, staring at the blue sky and clouds reflected in the water, hearing the river running by, feeling the sun warming our backs - and eventually I caught my first fish! It was a catch-and-release program, so we released it back into the wild and kept trying to catch another, which after another hour or so, wasn't going to happen. This is definitely something I want to try again, and hope that I remember all of the specifics to give it a go!


No comments:

Post a Comment