When: January 17th
Where: Quest Martial Arts
Why: At this point, I'm saying "yes" to pretty much any sort of physical activity that's offered. It's all in an effort to keep myself active and find new ways to engage my body and brain in movement. Some things I've tried in the past year have stuck with me (climbing for sure, loved the trapeze, and I'd definitely get on the pole and/or trampoline again!) and others were not my cup of tea (I'm talking to you, fencing).
One thing that seems to set me up for success is how closely the thing I'm about to do relates to the idea of it in my head. Fencing was not as cool as Catherine Zeta-Jones made it look in "The Mask of Zorro," thus its downfall. The trapeze was even cooler than it seemed in SATC. So, I went to my first class of martial arts armed with my preconceived notions acquired from a certain movie franchise: "The Karate Kid"; but ready for a shock? I'm talking about the remake. Before I go on, I know I'm supposed to have a spot in my heart for the original, but somehow it was not nearly as influential as this particular version. If I hadn't been watching it with friends, I'm certain I would have been off of the couch trying out some moves. Moves that, I'm quickly learning, are way too advanced for me.
![]() |
The gi is an outfit that isneither sexy nor flattering |
My white belt test is coming up next week, and as I practice for it, I realize the thing I'm most nervous about is actually the warm-up portion of class. There is a call-and-response segment (I have no idea what they're saying or when to say it), and last time it was followed by ten rapid crazy push-up/burpee movements that made my shoulders sore for days. Looks like this will be a great way to build up some muscle tone and have a little fun while doing it!

No comments:
Post a Comment