Sixteen down...36 to go...

What:  #15  Be  in  the  live  audience  for  NPR’s  “Wait  Wait ... Don’t  Tell  Me!"

Where: Downtown Chicago
When: May 17th
Why: I love trivia - the plethora of useless knowledge and factoids - but I tend to like to learn a little something from my trivia beyond just hearing Alex Trebek give his pompous retorts on Jeopardy. Thus, I have in the past year or so really started enjoying the Saturday morning broadcast on NPR radio of the program "Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!" If you are unfamiliar, it is a current events news quiz show and much funnier than that makes it sound. In addition to just being a fan of the show's content, I also was interested to see how a radio show was put together. I've been to a number of TV show tapings over the years, and on the set of a movie, but never to see a radio show. It was great to place faces and mannerisms with voices that were already familiar to me, and to see the logistics of how it is all done - callers, the panel, retakes, etc.

The taping takes place in the Chase Auditorium (inside the Chase Bank Tower downtown, a few blocks from Millennium Park) and the place was full! Clearly, I'm not the only dork who enjoys this sort of thing, especially considering the fact that my friend Sonia and her boyfriend Mighel signed on to do this one with me. :) Overall, it took almost 2 hours to finish the taping, so I was anxious to hear the show this morning to see what was cut to get it into its one-hour time slot. It was interesting that they rearranged the order on some segments from how it went that night, and definitely a lot of the banter and tangential conversations were cut, but it felt seamless when I listened to it. Overall, a fun way to spend a night out in downtown Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment