What: #23 Volunteer at Food Gatherers
Where: Shelter Association of Washtenaw County
When: January 13th
Why: Ever since attending the event called "Grillin'" sponsored by the Food Gatherers organization a few years ago, I have wanted to volunteer for their cause.
My friend, Lindsey, and I have also always wanted to do a volunteer activity together, so these ideas merged into our Friday night plans this weekend. We worked in the kitchen to serve a dinner created with food donations gathered from organizations all over Washtenaw County. It was a difficult night, seeing the variety of people (about 130 unmarried men and women) who are in such need, and yet it was fulfilling to be involved in a small way. I was put on the serving line to collect meal tickets, hand out desserts, and dole out napkins. The work was not easy, emotionally or physically, but it was incredibly rewarding and a great opportunity and I hope to do it again, and really recommend it to others in the area!

No comments:
Post a Comment