51 done ... 1 to go...

What: #51 Change a tire

When: January 12, 2018
Where: My driveway
Why: Ahh, Michigan. Winters in Michigan can be beautiful, sparkly, sunny, bright white & blue skies, but winter can also be frozen gray slush and frigid inhospitable temperatures and huge potholes forming on innocent pavement. The latter is the day I had, leading to accomplishing this new thing on my list.

On my drive home for work, I hit a pothole that, I found out later, also had taken out about a half dozen other cars of people in my neighborhood. After lurching home the final few blocks on a flattened tire, I immediately logged on to alert the city to the problem (update: the city patched up that blasted pothole a few hours later...good deed done!). After that, I abandoned my car in the garage, and honestly somehow hoped I'd check on it later and it would magically be repaired and re-inflated. Two things happened: 1) It did not magically heal itself and 2) I did miraculously get the next day off of work and so had the whole day to solve my tire problem. I decided that I would do it myself. In the freezing cold and snow, I got out the tools I would need, most of which are conveniently included in my spare tire package in my trunk...a jack, a pry bar, a lug wrench, and the spare tire itself. Armed with the owner's manual of my car, it was actually pretty easy to do! In about 30 minutes, I had raised my car onto the jack, removed the flat tire, mounted the spare tire, and cleaned everything up. Next stop, the store to buy a replacement tire!





No comments:

Post a Comment