When: May 21, 2016
Where: Aveda Institute
First came the shampoo. It was ok. I have had shampoos in other salons where I thought I would black-out from the sheer heavenly joy of having my hair washed and lovingly conditioned without having to exert any of my own energy. People with short hair and most men have no idea what a chore it can be to simply wash and condition long hair. So, while this particular shampoo wasn't mindblowing, it was still pleasant.
Then, the stylist asked me what look I was going for with my blowout, and I indicated I'd love something pretty similar to my natural style (wavy hair) but with a bit more volume. She began soliciting information about my normal hair routine. This is where it gets good (or embarrassing, depending on your take). She asks how often I use a straightener ("I don't have one"). She inquires if I use a round or paddle brush ("Neither, I use a large black comb that I've had for years"). She doesn't give up, and tosses me what she must surely think is an easy one about my curling iron ("Nope, I don't have that"). And then you can see that she is not giving up when she asks me about products, to which I reply "I wasn't being flippant when I said my hair is low maintenance. I own a comb and a hair dryer, which I rarely use, and mostly let my hair air dry and comb it out with my fingers." She seemed unsure of her next move. She timidly asked if she could change the part in my hair, which was her way of adding volume (didn't work). Then she went to town, adding phomollient (hipster-talk for mousse, by the way) and confixor (still don't know what this is) and for the next hour, she dried and curled my hair.
I personally do not have an hour to spend to make my hair look pretty. But, I can appreciate the artistry and concern for my hair's health, and it was pretty nice for my head, too...the blowout included a sweet lil' scalp/neck/shoulder massage!
No comments:
Post a Comment