1 done ... 51 to go ...

What: #89 Go to a beach to hunt for sea glass

When: January 1st
Where: Seaglass Beach, Vieques
Why: About ten years ago, I saw the movie "Spanglish" and in it, there is a scene where the male lead sends his kids and their friends to the beach to find sea glass. The scene takes place on a Southern California beach, and despite the many afternoons and evenings I've spent strolling those beaches, I had never seen sea glass. Seashells - yes. Seaweed - yes. Sea glass - no. It always stuck with me, and from then on I've noticed uses of sea glass in decorating and jewelry and always wondered about it. (For the record, I would have earned $20.50 from Adam Sandler for my haul of sea glass.)

When I was starting the New Year, I was lucky to see on the map of the island that a beach nearby was called "Sea Glass Beach" and so one evening, it was decided it would be the perfect place to watch sunset, and while waiting, to hunt for sea glass. It was surprisingly easy in that particular area, and it almost diminished the fun of it. I know that "sea glass" is simply broken bottles that have been littered along the shoreline and eventually smoothed out to resemble stones, but it is so beautiful to see the shimmering colors in the waves among the other stones and sand.

Now, I am looking for a use for them. I could put them in my terrarium to add a little something, or I could do more like this artist! Maybe as summer approaches, I'll feel more inspired to work with them and think of the beach.



No comments:

Post a Comment