22 down ... thirty to go...

What: #24 Go to a beer or wine tasting 

When: May 29th
Where: Loretto, Kentucky

Why: I'll be upfront; I actually did a bourbon tasting, not a beer or wine tasting, but I'm making an executive decision to count it for this one. Now that we have that out of the way, my whole intent with this list item was to expand my horizons to try drinks I normally pass over on a menu simply because of my ignorance. Anything mixed with bourbon has typically fallen in that category, save for the trademark drink at the Kentucky Derby, and frankly, I could barely tolerate that one. I figured I just needed to know more more about bourbon to appreciate it, and thus, my trip to the Maker's Mark distillery. The setting is really beautiful, and the whole complex holds a lot of history for this industry. The family that created the brand of Maker's Mark really cared about the product, the process, the whole thing, and not much has changed since they started it. And honestly, I knew very little about how bourbon was made, so it was really interesting to see the yeast vats, the huge stills, the giant warehouses filled with barrels of aging bourbon, and even the bottling line was really a surprise because it seemed like such a small operation for this pretty popular product, even still dipping the wax by hand! The tasting was great, learning about how to get the bouquet of the drink, the best way to drink it so it doesn't burn (didn't know that was possible, but it is!), and learning to identify the flavors contained in each type. And a fun surprise...bourbon goes very well with dark chocolate!  
Actually hand-dipping the wax!


My favorite? The Maker's 46 was actually the best!




1 comment:

Stephanie said...

So are you a bourbon drinker now? We need to go to Sugar House!

Post a Comment