Five down...47 to go...

What: #46 Attend the Salle d’Etroit Fencing Academy

Where: Salle d'Etroit Fencing Academy
When: February 20th
Why: I have no idea. Other than to blame Zorro, both an early George Hamilton version and more recently, "The Mask Of Zorro" with Catherine Zeta-Jones. So when it came up as a Groupon awhile back, on a whim, I went for it. I'm attending a series of lessons at a local academy and I've learned a lot of the basics. En garde, lunging, attacks, use of the foil, and how to get into the outfit including a glove, full head mask, weird plastic brassiere, and a bodysuit that zips in a rather awkward manner.  There is such a wide range of people taking the lessons - kids, adults, families, a group of friends, etc. We partner up and practice hits and touches, and truth be told, a "touch" actually hurts more than it should. I recognize that it isn't like being pierced with a weapon, but it is unpleasant. So, it helps to learn faster footwork and more precise moves to actually avoid an attack.

It is done with a lot of attention to detail, but it is also a lot of fun. And a great workout, which was really unexpected, but I truly work up a sweat, and it takes a lot of leg strength (just ask my right leg...it is still sore after my lesson from two days ago!) and quick repetitive movements.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Fencing!!?? Oh my! I better watch my back. ;) Can't wait to see the pictures. You're so adventurous!

Post a Comment