22 done ... 30 to go...

What: #96 HIke the Precipice Trail

When: August 27th
Where: Acadia National Park
Why: Three summers ago, I went to Acadia National Park for the first time and loved it. The scenery and feeling there is unlike anyplace else I've been, and I was excited at the chance to go back this summer. One hike I didn't get to do my first time there was the Precipice Trail, known for the sheer cliffs you climb on a system of iron rungs and ladders. On my first visit to Mount Desert Island, I climbed The Beehive with my friends - a very similar trail, but of a bit lower intensity - so I had an idea of what I was getting into this time. And, three years later, I have a lot more climbing under my belt, so I was confident I could get to the top.

The views along the way were amazing, but it was hard to stop to enjoy it, because anytime you had an opening to see the views, it meant you were precariously perched on a slippery rock ledge trying to stay balanced against the cliff face to not plummet down to a granite death bed. And I'm only being slightly dramatic about that.

Once at the top, we enjoyed a mini-picnic with the snack we had packed, and having a mini-picnic with the incredible vista made the tough climb absolutely worth it!





No comments:

Post a Comment